Monday, June 16, 2008

More apartment hunting fun...

Well, work was pretty slow today... to say the least. I was able to take care of some things for my upcoming move, make more copies than Rob Schneider could have ever dreamed of and even fiddled around Facebook for a while.

It's probably for the best though. It gave me time to continue my apartment hunt. I'm already starting to weed out some of the apartments that are clearly scams. Sure, I'd love to send about a thousand bucks to you over in West Africa, so that you can then mail me keys to your too good to be true apartment. Sounds brilliant to me.

There's another one that seems vaguely promising... but it's Craigslist posting was flagged and removed when I went back... so I'll keep that in mind as I continue to e-mail back and forth with the potential landlord. The price is almost too good to be true... but it's in the neighborhood lovingly known as Hell's Kitchen, so I figure that might be impacting the price...

It's just a name, right? Like "monster island," which is actually a peninsula... I think the name is out of date and is a throwback to the time of gangsters and the far scarier threat to society, prohibition, but I'll definitely have to do some serious scoping out of the area.

I've actually gotten a lot of vague support for considering the Staten Island apartment, which is surprising since half the island is pretty much a landfill. Maybe you all just have it out for me and would all love to be able to tease me about living on an earthen garbage barge, who knows?

I couldn't tell if one friend was pro-Staten Island or not, he put something on my Facebook wall about the ferries... some sort of ethnic slur against both British and Japanese people I think. I'm pretty sure it was pro-ferries though, but I'm not really sure.

I'm also looking at a couple of apartments in the Journal Square area of Jersey City... some of you may already know that Journal Square and I have a little bit of a history. We're totally BFF. Its PATH station is officially the strangest place I have ever confusedly/unscheduledly (real words are lame) woken up after a night on the town. Sorry friend's bathroom floor in Avalon in college, you've been replaced (but not forgotten), in case you didn't get the memo.

I hopped off at the wrong station and fell asleep on the bench waiting for my friend to get off the train. However, he was not dumb enough to get off the train two stops early... partially because he had fallen asleep.

It seemed like a nice enough area, but I didn't wander too far away from the station and was more focused on getting home rather than casing the joint.

So we'll see if that night was a sign that Journal Square is just where the fates want me to end up... yeah... we'll see...

I figure these are always fun, so I'll leave you all with a fun "Overheard in New York" quote I found from the aforementioned Hell's Kitchen:

Chick: He's either retarded... or from the Bronx.

No comments: