Wednesday, July 23, 2008

The WNBA might be a cheaper way to see Madison Square Garden than a Knicks game... maybe

As I was walking by Madison Square Garden the other day, I decided I'm going to try to see a WNBA game... since I technically have a home team now, the New York Liberty. It seems like it might be a good, and cheaper, way to see an event at Madison Square Garden... though I've heard Knicks tix aren't too hot a commodity around here...

I actually think it will be a lot of fun.

So I'm looking at the Liberty's schedule, and there are like no good games for the rest of the season! No, I'm not being facetious either.

I would love to see Diana "Taurasi the Destroyer" Taurasi (she was sent from the future to destroy all comers in women's basketball... but that's a whole different thing) and her Phoenix Mercury, but nooooo... they aren't coming before the end of the season.

I've totally had a little crush on Sue Bird from the Seattle Storm since her days dominating at UCONN.


So are Sue Bird and the Storm coming to New York? Of course not... it's ridiculous.

Some people talk about Lauren Jackson from the Storm a lot too... but psht - she's totally no Sue Bird. Besides, she's Australian and as discussed earlier Aussies can lead to trouble...

P.S. I totally friended Sue Bird on MySpace after I Googled her for a link to put in this post... and I couldn't stop giggling for like five minutes after I clicked the "are you sure" link (no, I'm not drinking... yet). I'd be flattered to say the least if she accepted, but I'll let you all know what happens.

I guess I'll have to get tickets to see the Detroit Shock, and their head coach... Bill Laimbeer! No, I'm not kidding either. Bill Laimbeer, of "Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball" fame, is the head coach of the Shock!




I don't know about you all... but hearing the intro music, and then the actual gameplay music totally sent chills down my spine... I am so playing some combat basketball after this post is up.

Anybody else notice that the balls in the SNES game look a lot like WNBA balls? Coincidence or clairvoyance? Hmmm...

For those who are confused, the game is quite possibly one of the most ridiculous games ever made. Just watch the clip. It is so bad... it's good. Everything in the game is done with the same button, passing, shooting and attacking other players. This of course leads to trouble since the game doesn't always do what you wanted it to when you press "the button," but it is so awful that it becomes addicting.

Anywho... do you all think Bill Laimbeer would sign my SNES cartridge? Dear God I hope so.

I guess there's really only one way to find out...

Well, it sounds like I've convinced myself to try and go see the Shock when they come to town.

He may not be beautiful like Sue Bird, or a terminator robot like Diana Taurasi... but Bill Laimbeer is a pretty damn cool dude. I hear he even played in the NBA some years ago... and made a solid reputation as a "Bad Boy" in Detroit.

Maybe that's why Detroit hosted a WNBA on-court brawl last night...



Maybe they'll bring some brawl with them to Madison Square Garden... who knows?

Either way it should be neat... or at least interesting, right?

No comments: